Another Christmas-themed bento. My youngest son had a class party and we were assigned to bring a savoury dish to school.
I found a very yummy recipe from Taste which is Prosciutto and Cheese Puffs and I thought it would be perfect for the party. Since I did not have prosciutto, I replaced it with bacon.
Here I share you the recipe :
Prosciutto and Cheese Puffs
adapted from Taste
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
115g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup plain flour
4 large eggs
1/2 cup (60g) finely chopped prosciutto (I replaced it with bacon)
2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan). Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water, salt and butter, and bring to the boil. Add the flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until completely blended, about 1 minute. Continue to cook, stir constantly, until the mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the dough for 1 minute, or until it cools slightly. Add the eggs one at a time, mix well before each addition. Stir in the bacon/prosciutto and cheese, and season with salt and pepper. The dough will be very tacky.
4. While the dough is warm, place it in a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1.5 cm tip, or place into a resealable freezer bag and snip one corner of the bag to form a 1.5 cm opening. Pipe mounds of dough, each about 3cm high x 3cm wide, onto prepared trays, leaving about 2.5 cm between each. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until puffed and deep golden brown all over.
5. Transfer puffs to a platter and serve warm.
For my eldest son, I prepared :
1. Rudolf bacon and cheese puffs (with carrot, white crabstick, black sesame seeds, and pretzel)
2. Minced prawn and carrot toast (with snowflake cheese on top) with mayonaise
3. Corn on the cob
4. Watermelon for recess
Bento tools I used for this post :
"Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones"
* Have a blessed Christmas and safe holiday *