Brioche is a pastry of French origin that is similar to a highly enriched bread, and which high egg and butter content gives it a rich and tender crumb (Wikipedia). I love its sweet, buttery, and soft texture.
For the boys I put ham, cheese, and lettuce fillings. Then I decorated the brioche with cheese and nori for the eyes, and black sesame seeds for the nostrils. As simple as that :)
For the side, I got leftover San Choy Bow for the kids. San Choy Bow is a deliciously flavoured chicken or pork mince wrapped in crisp lettuce leaves and eaten with bare hands. For the boys, I put the salad and lettuce separately.
Here I share you the recipe :
Pork San Choy Bow
1 iceberg lettuce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon shao hsing wine
1 small read onion, finely sliced
1 x 2cm piece ginger, julienne
400g lean pork mince
8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced
Any vegetables like carrots, bean sprouts, capsicum, string beans or even snowpeas.
A handful of coriander or Vietnamese mint, finely chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1. Discarding the outer leaves, carefully cut the whole leaves from the lettuce head, trim them to form cups.
2. In a bowl, mix oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, shao hsing wine, set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
4. Add mushrooms, garlic, red onion and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. 5. Add pork and cook, stir to break up any clumps of meat for 8-10 minutes or until brown and cooked through.
6. Drain off any excess liquid.
7. Add the vegetables and stir for a few minutes.
8. Stir oyster sauce mixture, then add to pan and stir to combine.
9. Allow mixture to cool a little.
10. Place lettuce leaves on serving plates and divide meat mixture between them.
11. Drizzle hoisin sauce over meat and sprinkle with spring onions and the herbs.
For my youngest son, I prepared :
1. Ham and cheese monster brioche
2. Corn on the cob
3. San choy bow
4. Kiwi fruit for recess
His brother had the same lunch, but he had apple checker for recess instead.
The lunches were packed with Easy Lunchboxes that you may find here :