Bolu Kukus reminds me of my childhood, when I made this cake together with my mum. To make this cake is quite challenging, this cake must have 3 or 4 buds on the top. I share the recipe and tips below.
BOLU KUKUS (INDONESIAN STEAMED CAKE)
Make about 12 cakes
300 grams of all purpose flour
250 grams of sugar
5 egg yolks
4 egg white
1/2 tsp baking soda
175 cc of soda water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp red food colouring (or anything you like)
1. Prepare steamer, warm up for about 15 minutes.
2. Line bolu kukus molds (I use silicon molds) with parchment paper
3. Beat the eggs, sugar,vanilla until thick & paste.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the flour, then 1/2 of the soda, gently mix.
5. Repeat remaining flour & soda, end with flour.
6. Mix throughly until the batter is free of lumps.
7. Divide 1/3 of the batter into small bowl. Keep the rest in original colour.
8. Add red food colouring into that bowl. Whisk until combined.
9. Spoon cream batter into mould. Swirl a little of the coloured batter.
10. Steam for 20 minutes on high heat.
* Cover the steamer lid with a cloth to prevent any drips on the batter.
* Do not open the steamer at first fifteen minutes. No peeking, this can cause of the cake to stop rising.
I used some leftovers for my kids school lunches. Both of them had similar lunches. Details as below :
For the school lunch, I prepared :
1. Bolu Kukus
2. Corn on the cob
3. Crackers and cheese
5. Broccoli and carrot sticks
7. Apple cuts for recess