We had leftover dinner (Honey Sesame Chicken) that the boys enjoyed so much, they wanted to bring those for school lunches. I made their favourite character from Big Hero 6 movie, Baymax onigiri to go with the chicken. It was so easy. I mould the onigiri with plastic wrap and add nori for the face details.
Here I share you the delicious honey and sesame chicken recipe :
Honey Sesame Chicken
500 gr boneless chicken thigh, cut into 1-inch cubes
Oil, for deep-frying
2 garlic, minced
Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
1 egg white
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup water, ice cold
1 tablespoon oil
Pinch of salt
Honey Sesame Sauce:
1/3 cup pure honey
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1. Whisk all the "frying batter" ingredients together until smooth. Set aside.
2. Drop in the chicken cubes, mix well until they are well coated. Set aside.
3. Mix all the ingredients of the "garlic sesame sauce" together and set aside.
4. Heat up a saute pan and add about 2-inch of oil on medium to high heat. 5. When the hot is fully heated, gently drop in the battered chicken cubes, one by one, making sure it is spread out to prevent sticking together.
5. Continue to fry until the color changes to golden brown.
6. Dish out and drain on paper towels.
7. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the frying oil in a wok or skillet, stir-fry the garlic until aromatic.
8. Add in the Honey Sesame Sauce, and bring to a light simmer or until the sauce thickens.
9. Drop in the chicken, stir-fry a few times to combine the sauce and chicken, add the sesame seeds, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice, or Chinese fried rice.
Inside the boxes :
For my eldest son, I prepared :
1. Baymax onigiri
2. Honey sesame chicken
3. Boiled carrot sticks and beans
4. Apple cuts for recess
My youngest son had the similar lunches with his brother, but he had kiwi fruit instead for recess.