The boys were swimming with their dad, and I was pretty sure they were going to be very hungry when they got home. So I quickly searched what I had left in the fridge and found prawn and vegetables. The idea just came up to make tempura bento because I've been longing to use my new bento box that I bought from Bento & Co.
I am really happy with the tempura batter, it is so easy to prepare, and the result is just crispy and light. The recipe is below :
3/4 cup (115g) Self raising flour
1/4 cup (35g) cornflour
1 cup (250ml) soda water or beer, chilled
a pinch of salt
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
Plain flour, extra, to coat
1 carrot, peeled, diagonally sliced
1/2 white cabbage thinly sliced
300g green king prawns, peeled, deveined, leaving tails intact
1. Sift the flour and cornflour in a medium bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre.
3. Add the soda water/beer and a pinch of salt. Use chopsticks to gently whisk until just combined (do not overmix - the mixture should be lumpy).
4. Place the bowl in a larger bowl filled with iced water.
5. Add enough oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 6cm.
6. Place over high heat. To test when oil is ready, stick an unvarnished wooden or bamboo chopstick into the oil to test the heat. If the oil is hot enough, a steady stream of bubbles will issue from the submerged end of the chopstick.
7. Place extra flour on a plate. Dip the vegetables in the flour to lightly coat. Dip one quarter of the vegetables, one at a time, into the batter. Shake off any excess.
8. Deep-fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
9. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
10. Dip prawns in the extra flour to lightly coat.
11. Dip prawns in the batter, one at a time, then deep-fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
12. Ready to serve
Inside the box :
1. White steamed rice with salmon furikake on top
2. Prawn and vegetables tempura
3. Easy thousand island dressing (mayonnaise mixed with tomato ketchup)
4. Checker apple
Similar wooden bento box :